Sunday, August 28, 2011

A packing list?

So, as previously mentioned, I'm not great at swimming. Unfortunately, I'm not much better at packing. Packing for camping trips, packing to move out of college dorms, or packing to go to a coffee shop--it's all a little difficult for me.

I never understood the question my mom always asked before I headed on a journey: "Are you packed yet?" The anxiety of wanting to get where I'm going has always trumps the need to pack. Do I have my toothbrush, deodorant, and more than one t-shirt for two weeks of vacation? Eh, it'll be fine. Places to go, people to see.

And yet I'm surprised when I start unpacking and realize that I'm just a tad unprepared, not to mention pretty stinky.

And I tend to do the same thing with metaphorical voyages, such as this year with InterVarsity. Instead of involving God in the mix, I tend to quickly grab my empty backpack, forgetting to bring an iota of His power, knowledge, or guidance. However, the past week or so on Creighton's campus with InterVarsity has been a spiritual, emotional, and logistical "packing" before I shove off from shore on this journey down the river. [Note: I'm going to try and carry out swimming/large bodies of water/fishing metaphors for as long as I can on this blog. I mean, heck, the title of "Sink or Swim" puts a lot of pressure on me to do so. If it's slightly annoying, I know--I've backed myself into this corner, though].

Slowing down, pondering 'next steps,' and going through my 'packing list' of things to do and ways to include God on campus hasn't necessarily felt natural to me. However, for one of the few times in my life, I feel prepared: Prepared for the challenges ahead, prepared for the unexpected, prepared for the blessings God's going to pour out as I let him paddle the canoe where He wants to go. The week of planning large-group worship, readying ourselves to reach out to freshmen, and most importantly, preparing my own heart to allow God to use me, has me in a place of readiness. Praying for big things both on campus and in my own life has allowed for a renewal and anticipation, of sorts, for this year.

And that preparation paid off on Tuesday, as we saw 80+ students show up to the first outdoor 'BASIC', our large-group gathering. Beyond the large crowd, great worship music, and gorgeous weather, though, was God clearly moving in the students. Far from being a go-through-the-motions event, it felt like students were engaged and open to what role Jesus might play in their life in college. One freshman student sitting in her dorm room nearby heard a familiar song we were playing and decided to wander down to join the group to worship. A group of girls at BASIC felt right at home, stating after the gathering that "this is what we were praying for!" Another enthusiastic freshman told me afterwards "Thanks for inviting me...this was great. I'm going to invite my whole floor!"

Instead of feeling drained and discouraged like usual, I'm excited about the beginning of the year and amazing possibilities. I guess including God in the planning team for this year at Creighton is a good idea...what a crazy concept, right?

I want to give glory to God. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Brendan! It's so awesome to hear about what God is doing at Ceighton. You're an intern wow! Bethaney and I are currently discerning whether or not to use our gap year as interns. I think B is more sure than I am. =)
    Hope ministry is life-giving all the way through.
    -Karen Im

    ReplyDelete